Friday, April 11, 2008

Its My Birthday!

This weekend is my birthday. Sunday to be exact. I will be... well nevermind that. And I wrote this blog solely for the purpose of gettings lots of Happy Bday comments. No, thats not true. Actually, for the first time in my life, I don't care that its my birthday. It just doesn't seem to carry the same excitement it once did. My birthday. Big Deal. Another day out of 365.
And I have been wondering, "Why don't I get excited about my birthday anymore?". Maybe its because I've had a few and it wears off, kind of like buying a favorite movie and after you watch, oh, a thousand times, you loose interest. The movie is still good, just doesn't appeal to you that much anymore. I would like to get backthat feeling as a child about my Birthday. MY DAY! Its ALL ABOUT ME!
Now the world I live in is too busy, filled with obligations and time constraints and demands... it doesn't leave time for My Birthday. Or rather I don't make any time. Either way, its pretty sad. I was asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I had no answer. To do nothing sounds bad, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. How about nothing. How about I just get to rest.
So I am just going to let whatever transpires happen. I will just be in the moment. I will make no plans that will inevitably get changed anyway. I think I will look closely at this world I live in, and try and take it all in.

6 comments:

KJ said...

yeah!! happy birthday!!! I'm so glad to know this!

I used to not make a big deal out of my birthday; I never would tell anyone. The last few years, though, I've been drawn to change that. Not really sure why the shift. But I ask "what do I really want? or want to do?" Short of lavish mexican vacations or a trip to Italy, I do what makes me happy. Last year I gor a huge piece of cake from a favorite bakery and ate it for breakfast on my birthday!!

So...enjoy your day or rest. But please, at least eat good food and drink good beer!

KJ said...

...oF rest. jeez.

nonprofitprophet said...

I picked up a 12 pack of Zeigenbach yesterday. Preparing for the weekend. I also started walking a mile a day on an eliptical, mainly for cardiovascular, so between that and the beer - i should remain about the same.... lol.

Anonymous said...

You answered your own question. You don't get as excited as you did when you were a kid because nobody else gets excited about it, either. Your mom isn't planning a big bash for you, your friends at school aren't clamoring for an invite, thus you're not anticipating a bunch of mysterious presents. Birthday presents AND Christmas presents don't have the same allure and glamor they once had...My nieces and nephews give me a list of acceptable prizes. If I vary off that list I'm sure to disappoint. Bleah. Where's the surprise? Oh, sorry, I wandered off the subject and this blog is supposed to be all about YOU and YOUR BIRTHDAY. Somewhere between little boy and having little boys the focus shifts from you getting parties to you throwing parties. It's a bummer sometimes. Okay, I have to throw in something about ME because that's how I roll...I "almost" looked forward to 50 because friends said I would get a discount on insurance. I didn't - was told there's no such discount. So then I was just fifty. Supposedly it's better to be 50 than to be dead, but I wonder... And sometimes I think there's not much difference at all!

nonprofitprophet said...

mizangie- YEAH, ITS ALL ABOUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lol. actually, my bday turned out better than i thought it would. i'll blog it. And by the way, there is a huge difference between 50 and dead...you can still drink beer at 50! ~npp

nonprofitprophet said...

kj - i had a Zeigenbach and a Smokehouse Burger with a huge stack of onion rings at Cheddars! what a lubberly day. Now back on the eliptical ... ~np