Thursday, May 5, 2011

there is a season for everything

I have been a relationship guy my whole life. I never really knew that growing up and only in the past few years have I figured it out. If you have ever met me, even once, and we even slightly got along, then you know me for life. I have made contact with another soul on the planet. Relationships are everything to me. Never been much on status. Never really motivated by money (although in my adult years I am beginning to see the importance of having a litte bit of it). Nope, I have always been about relationships.
Sometimes to my detriment. Even unhealthy. Can't let go. Failed to consider others had hidden agendas. Its a tough lesson we all learn I think.
I have really enjoyed Facebook. Keeping up with others and finding friends from my past. Strange how we seem to get along better now than we did years ago. Matured some maybe. Lots more people talking about God these days.
Priorities. Seasons. Life.
I am now to the age where I can compare things to the way they used to be. I am amazed at what things cost now compared to when I was younger. My kids think nothing of spending whatever amount on a soft drink or combo meal because that is what it has always been to them. They don't remember 10 cent cokes or nickle candy bars or 1 cent double bubble chewing gum.
I am becoming my father. And his father before him. I am seeing things through different lenses. I no longer think I am the center of the universe. I am beginning to see and feel my mortality. I know its just a matter of time before I will no longer exist in this earthly realm. And I don't necessarily think that is something to get down in the dumps about.
I think it is a season I am in. As necessary to spring time is the winter, I think it is necessary we reach the season when we aren't in budding but in full bloom, soaking it all in. Maturing. Reaching the heights we were intended to reach. Spreading our branches so that others may find comfort in our shade. To have enough growth and survived enough weathering that we are stronger when the storms blow, but not so much that we cannot bend and sway abit and dance along with the winds. To develop lasting and meaningful relationships that will sustain us in the years to come.
Facebook is good at helping us keep in touch. It exposes us to other cultures, thoughts, politics, thoughts, humor, life events, and sometimes a little more than we would like to know. I think all of this helps us grow to be more tolerant or at least more accepting.
I cannot imagine life without internet. Facebook. Cell phones. Though I lived half of my life without it. Some of you can remember your first microwave. This season of life is really cool. I am so curious as to what the next will bring.
What an awesome ride. ~npp

6 comments:

robyn said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog, mainly because I can relate so much to what you are saying. Life does seem to have seasons and we enjoy some better than others. I am at a point in my life that I realize I do not know everything, but for the most part I believe I finally have truth and a relationship with my Savior. Funny how storms in life can point you to what matters most. Money, looks,status are no longer as important as they once were. In fact, they don't even make my list anymore. You are right that we are to be there for those around us.We are to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Not easy to do but sounds like you are well on your way.

nonprofitprophet said...

Thank you Robyn for those words. It is amazing that the older we get the more we realize we don't know it all as we once thought we did. And even better than that is the acceptance I don't have too know everything. I can embrace the mysteries of this life and have faith that all is as it should be. I know it sounds bizzare to many, but I find comfort in that. ~npp

robyn said...

I find comfort in that as well.

robyn said...

I find comfort in that as well.

Melissa said...

I really enjoyed this post! I admire your openness to the seasons of life, while appreciating your past. It's refreshing amongst adults who curse us kids for being spoiled or too technological. I'm sure that I'll be thinking back on these days when I'm an adult, reminding myself that it is a new season.


Check out my blog:
thehappycollegestudent.blogspot.com

nonprofitprophet said...

Melissa, it is an interesting ride for sure. Never ever what you think it will be. some good some bad. life. and thank you for your words. You are correct that "kids" get a bad rap for this or that and it is in each generation. The kids of the 50s and their rock and roll were of the devil. I was a teen in the 80s and we were all bad as well. The older generation doesn't accept change well, because, well, it is change for us. Its not change for you because it is what you know and have always known. 20 years from now you will experience the change that you can either embrace or dislike. I will check out your blog. ~npp