I was excited (initially) when I heard that the congress came together to give each taxpayer back 'x' amount of money to stimulate the econony. With spouse and kids that will be a pretty good chunk of change. I thought, "Hey, if they got that much of our money left over - they oughta give it back!"
But then I heard "how" this was going to be accomplished. It seems that the United States is going to borrow the monies from China and distibute it to US Citizens who can spend it as they wish.
This seems soooo messed up in soooo many ways. Here's some of them:
1. We are borrowing from China.
2. We have to pay this back in interest.
3. Consumers are going to use the money to by products made in (you guessed it) China!
4. We send billions of US Taxpayer dollars all over the world for foreign aid and then we do not get reimbursed and we "forgive debt". So we "give" our money away and we "borrow" money from China???? anyone else think this weird?
5. People who don't pay taxes also get a rebate. Louis Gohmert, Congressman from Texas, asked President Bush at the State of the Union Address a relevant question: "how do you give a rebate to people who didn't put bate in to start with?"
Call me crazy but this just seems wrong in so many ways. And its all to stimulate an economy created by the Adjustable Rate Mortgage fiasco that people got themselves into. Okay, so we are doing all this to bail out people who weren't smart enough to avoid an ARM? Are we going to start doing this for people who get screwed by a car salesman and get over their heads in payments "cause they were stupid?".
I thought about just refusing the money on principle. but then again.... :)