Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Resurrection Day

I have no idea how Easter became associated with a "bunny" and what that has to do with colored eggs. There is probably a story that covers the details of this, but I haven't spent any time looking it up.

I am a huge Easter fan. I actually like it better, from a purely christian perspective, than say Christmas. Easter for me is a time of new beginnings, renewal, the end of an old covenant and the entering in of the new. Spring. Life blooming eternal. It is a very spiritual time. "Do This in Rememberance of Me". And I simply love communion at this time of year. This act of bread and wine (or Welch's Grape Juice for you non-drinkers) somehow brings me closer in "communion" with the Christ. Unexplainable as it may be, it is a beautiful thing.

I do not really get so emotional that I start using words like "the blood of the lamb" and "its all about the cross" and things of that nature. I actually am more subdued by it all. I can't relegate it down to a few canned phrases. What I feel cannot be adequately expressed in this manner. It is simply more than I can understand. I remember going to the theater with our church group and watching "The Passion of The Christ" and simply being awestruck. When the movie concluded, somehow it felt disrespectful or at least inappropriate to just get up and leave. I physically remained in my seat for several minutes contemplating what I had just watched and experienced. Somehow it was more than the typical Easter Sunday Sermon that you normally get. It brought reality to this story. Showed what real Passion (suffering) was like. Made me realize that when we used to sing, with gusto, "Are Ye Able Said the Master, to be crucified with me" ... well the sturdy dreamers may have answered yes, but after seeing the reality of it - I would probably have to say no. It would be unlikely I could suffer the fate of Jesus. Even though more deserving in a theological sense, it is much to high a price for me.

So I do not go to church on Easter. Have not for years. I know, it seems kind of out of sync, but I do not. Each year I go camping in the Piney Woods of East Texas with several family members. I walk the trails early in the morning, while the sun forces its rays through the morning sky and penetrates deep into the forest. The dogwood blooms are everywhere here, and they are a reminder of the crucifixion. I am alone with the God of the Universe. We are close here. Much closer than if I were in the Sanctuary. I leave that place for those "Christians" who want to show up on "special days". We call them CMEs...Christmas, Mother's Day & Easter Christians.

So I leave you this weekend, away from this computer and my occupation, and I go to the place where I find God each and every year. And I remember. And am thankful. "Do This in Rememberance of Me".

Happy Resurrection Day! ~npp

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpK6cNPF7Y

Check out the video. It's awesome - my favorite Christmas & Easter video. I like to play it reallllly loud, especially the ending. Whew. Now try to watch it without crying...

Enjoy communing with nature. "I come to the garden [woods] alone. While the dew is still on the roses [dogwoods]..."

Peace be with you.

KJ said...

I'm totally with you. Love Easter. I had the same experience watching "Passion." It was one of the few times I feel I've ever really been connected to the "human-ness" of Jesus. I was overwhelmed. (I had a similar experience reading "The Lamb," but those 2 are DEFINITELY NOT the same.LOL)
I love your Easter tradition...I'm actually a little jealous! Several yeasrs ago, I started to really hate the pomp and circumstance of Easter church services. Yuck, yuck, yuck. The last 3 years, though, has been different. Thank goodness. It really is just another Sunday morning gathering...concluding with an Easter Egg hunt for the kids. It's good.

Blessings to you and your family.

nonprofitprophet said...

mizangie - "and also with you." Great video.
KJ - i know where you are now and i understand.
we just got back and we smell of campfires and are covered with pine pollen. Just a thin layer over everything. Fun. But it didn't rain so that is amazing in an of itself. How many times did we hide and hunt those eggs anyway? lol. And its kinda difficult for the easter bunny to getin and out of a camper without being caught! ~npp

nonprofitprophet said...

mizangie - "and also with you." Great video.
KJ - i know where you are now and i understand.
we just got back and we smell of campfires and are covered with pine pollen. Just a thin layer over everything. Fun. But it didn't rain so that is amazing in an of itself. How many times did we hide and hunt those eggs anyway? lol. And its kinda difficult for the easter bunny to getin and out of a camper without being caught! ~npp

KJ said...

hah! Little fact, I was the
EAster Bunny for many years at "the 'Bend" hear in town. It was a quite fun...but I never snuck out of a camper! That's awesome.

nonprofitprophet said...

KJ- I am going to leave that alone for so, oh so many reasons.... :)

KJ said...

hah, hah, hah, hah!